Monday, July 30, 2012

Garlic "Bread" and Iced Banana Cream

This post has been long in coming. We moved and I have been unpacking and trying to get started setting my classroom up. Its been really hard to start balancing my life and getting back into work. I also finished Natalia Rose's The Raw Food Detox Diet and today I began reading Raw Food Life Force Energy today. I love the health tips in both books, but I also have some reservations and different ideas about other things. Some day I will write a blog about my beliefs and how I feel that has led me into this diet, but not today. 


I did accomplish one goal. I ate raw for an entire day last week! I was VERY excited and it was not hard. I will do it again soon!

Today I did really well too. Although I did not do an 'all raw' day, it was a healthy day!


I started out with about 20 ounces of water.


A half hour later I had a cup of English Breakfast Tea infused with chocolate and berries.


A little later I had a Cucumber/Apple/Mint/Ginger/ Detox Juice (I added a few leaves of Kale)


Mid afternoon I drank a concoction of Beet Greens/2 small beets/1/2 cup cranberries/4 carrots/ 1/2 inch ginger root/1/4 inch turmeric root mixed with a Chai Kombucha.


A couple hours later I finished the leftovers of a yummy pizza type salad I had made for our family dinner on Saturday afternoon.

And last, but most wonderful, my day culminated in an amazing taste-bud sensation dinner, made with "gasp" vegetables!


I made Flourless Goat Cheese Ravioli  (compliments of The Vegetable Centric Kitchen). Added some parsley to a beet/sweet potato/yellow squash/zucchini pasta with pesto (found in Natalia Rose's books) that was also left over from Saturday. And because the most difficult thing for me to say no to during our Saturday dinner was garlic bread, I created Cheesy Garlic "Bread" Zucchini Style!

Cheesy Garlic "Bread" Zucchini Style

1 monster zucchini (this one is from my mom's garden)
1 Tbls Earth Balance Butter (or butter of choice)
2 cloves garlic
1/2 cup shredded cheese (or not, I almost thought it tasted better without the cheese. But that could have also been due to the fact that I did not use a very good cheese)
Salt and Pepper to taste

  Preheat oven to 400 degrees. 
Cut the Zucchini lengthwise into three pieces.
Lay on a cookie sheet. I sprayed it with grapeseed oil first and the bottoms of the zucchini browned nicely.

Place butter and garlic in a food processor and blend until smooth. (you may need to use more garlic and butter to facilitate blending)
Spread the garlic butter on the zucchinis and sprinkle with cheese if desired. 
Bake on 400 for about 40 min. or until the zucchini is soft and the cheese is almost browned. 
Sprinkle a little salt and pepper and enjoy!

We ended our meal with a most amazing dessert. Before I let you in on the secret, I have decided something! When we were kids our mom came up with "Dessert Days". We could only have dessert every other day plus Saturday (because it was a special day) and only during one meal on those days. Well, I think, by the time I have kids I will have this detox diet thing down so I am going to tell my kids that they are allowed to eat dessert EVERY day and  perhaps even for every meal! ;)


Ok, I know it looks like soup, but it's not! It is a most amazing concoction!

Almond Butter Chocolate Chunk Banana Cream

3 frozen bananas
1 6 oz container plain coconut milk yogurt
1/4 - 1/2 cup almond butter
1/2 large Bar Dagoba Dark Chocolate (I used Xocolatl, and it gave the cream a nice punch)
2 dropperfuls vanilla stevia
1 dropperful chocolate stevia
1 tsp vanilla extract
scant salt

Pour all ingredients into a blender and blend until smooth. Then you must sit back and slowly, very slowly enjoy this wonderful treat!

We ate our cream with this lovely chocolate cake I made for (again) lunch on Saturday. (I think that The Vegetable Centric Kitchen must be my favorite blog). After I served the bowls I stuck them in the freezer while I finished cleaning the kitchen and the dessert was coldly refreshing in our hot apartment.

Isn't my cake pretty?!




Happy Juicing!

No comments:

Post a Comment